John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award
The John B. McMillan Distinguished Service Award program honors current and retired members of the North Carolina State Bar throughout the state who have demonstrated exemplary service to the legal profession. Members of the Bar are encouraged to nominate colleagues who have demonstrated outstanding service to the profession. The nomination form is available here. Please direct questions to Peter Bolac at the State Bar office in Raleigh, (919) 828-4620.
Click here to view a list of past DSA recipients.
The Distinguished Service Award committee evaluates nominees based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Cultivating knowledge of the law beyond its use for clients, employing that knowledge in reform of the law, and working to strengthen legal education.
- Furthering the public's understanding of and confidence in the rule of law and the justice system.
- Devoting professional time and resources and providing civic leadership to ensure equal access to our system of justice for all those who, because of economic or social barriers, cannot afford or secure adequate legal counsel.
- Aiding the legal profession by helping the bar regulate itself in the public interest and by seeking to improve the administration of justice and the quality of services rendered by the legal profession.
- Providing professional services at no fee or a reduced fee to persons of limited means or to public service or charitable groups or organizations, by service in activities for improving the law, society, the legal system or the legal profession, and providing financial support for organizations that provide legal services to persons of limited means.
- Treating opposing counsel with courtesy and respect; encouraging and counseling peers by providing advice and mentoring; and fostering civility among members of the bar.
- Promoting diversity and diverse participation within the legal profession.
Nominate a Lawyer
The nomination form is available here. You may submit your nomination via mail, fax, or email to the following address:
Peter Bolac, District Bar Liaison
The North Carolina State Bar
217 E. Edenton Street
PO Box 25908
Raleigh, NC 27611
919.828.4620 ext. 282